The History of GFUMC
- 1832 - "First Church" begins meeting at 113 South Sixth Street.
- 1839 - "First Church" purchased land to provide a "burying ground" for the Goshen Community. In 1859 that cemetery, Oakridge Cemetery, was given to Goshen.
- 1874 - "First Church" built the present sanctuary at the corner of Fifth and Jefferson Streets. The first service was held there in the basement on January 31, 1875.
- 1926 - Wesley Hall and gym were built to be used as a social center for Goshen.
- 1968 - The "Garden Room" was a third addition that was built onto the present site. After demolishing "Rieth Hall," the Garden Room was built for offices, a parlor, nursery facilities, kitchen, restrooms, and other meeting rooms for classes and small groups.
- 1993 - "First Church" opened its doors for a Hispanic ministry to begin here.
- 1995- "The Life Center" or West Campus as it was known then, became a reality with its first worship service being held in the Middle School on November 5, 1995.
- 2000 - Construction of the "Life Center" at 1212 W. Plymouth Avenue was completed and the first worship service was held on December 10, 2000.
- 2007 - "First Church" burned the mortgage on the debt that was required to fulfill the step in fulfilling its vision and passion for "taking Christ to people." This indebtedness began at 2.7 million dollars and is now paid off.
- 2008 - "First Church" began a church-wide visioning process to listen to God's voice, to seek to see the needs of our community and world, and then made plans in following God's directions. This next phase in the life and history of "First Church" was called "Ignite for Christ."